Morgan McEwen, ballerina turned artistic director, launched MorDance in January of 2013. This young company, with dancers from some of the world’s most prestigious companies, has playfully leapt to the edge of the classical ballet world. MorDance explores the use of athleticism in its aim to modernize and innovate while honoring the grace and beauty of classical ballet. MorDance premiered at Manhattan Movement and Arts center on May 3rd, 2013. The company has been invited to perform at numerous festivals, including Dance at Socrates, Counterpointe Project, and Sounds of the City. In 2014, MorDance helped The Sheen Center open their doors by being the first company to perform in their brand new black box theater. The company has also been granted residencies at The Silo at Kirkland Farm, Mana Contemporary, CUNY Dance Initiative, and Kaatsbaan International Dance Center.
MorDance's mission is to embody excellence in the performing arts through the creation of new works, live performances, and extensive outreach that nurtures and empowers at risk youth in our community.
MorDance strives to be recognized as a company of distinction in the dance community and a leader in performing arts outreach programming that serves those in need.
- Maintain a professional company that is a classically-based ensemble dancers.
- Create a diverse repertory of original choreography rooted in ballet.
- Engage audiences and promote the support of ballet.
- Ensures fiscal stability by maintaining strong governance and stimulating community support.
- Conducts business in an ethical manner and provides a positive and respectful environment for both internal and external constituents.
- Promotes diversity in all areas of the organization.
- Take an active role in the community through outreach programs.